At Wastewear, we believe a great wardrobe shouldn't come at the expense of our planet. Unfortunately, the fashion industry today has only further damaged our Earth through harmful textiles and processing.
The Wastewear mission is to do our part in saving the world. Our apparel is made from 100% WASTE through a process which is sustainable, saves large amounts of water, and keeps waste out of landfills.
IMPACT OF YOUR WADROBE
The fashion industry is the second most polluting industry in the world, not far behind oil.
The reasons behind this are the way textiles and clothing is produced and the methods of disposal.
- The fashion industry uses 9 trillion gallons of water, annually.
- Fashion contributes to 20% of all industrial water waste
- Fashion contributes to 10% of all global carbon emissions.
IMPACTS OF GROWING COTTON
The production of textiles heavily impacts the environment right from growing fibres like cotton which consume large volumes of fresh water, chemicals and fertilizers.
- 25% of the Worlds insecticides are used to grow cotton.
- Growing 1 lb of cotton produces more than 7 lbs of carbon dioxide.
- Producing 1 lb of cotton consumes over 960 gallons of water.
IMPACTS OF MANUFACTURING POLYESTER
The production of man-made fibers like polyester consumes large amounts of fossil fuels. Coal tar and petroleum are also used to make synthetic dyes used to color the textiles.
- Polyester production uses twice the amount of energy of cotton production.
- 70 million barrels of oil used for polyester production every year.
- Polyester production releases 706 billion Kg’s of greenhouse gases every year.
IMPACTS OF USING CHEMICAL DYES
During the processing of fabrics, large amounts of water, dyes and chemicals are used which cause polluting effluents.
- 20% of chemical dyes make their way into fresh water.
- 25% of dyes are lost in during the dyeing process.
- The textile industry uses 1.3 million tonnes of dyes every year.
HOW WE COMPARE
700 gallons of water used
13 lbs of CO2 emissions
9 lbs of chemical dyes
3 lbs of fertilizers used
0 gallons of water used
5 lbs of CO2 emissions
0 lbs of chemical dyes
0 lbs of fertilizers used
Each Wastewear t-shirt keeps 0.8 pounds of waste out of landfills and saves 700 gallons of water.
A Wastewear t-shirt is made with recycled materials to create clothing that makes you look great while making a positive difference in the world.
Plastic bottles and cotton waste are recycled and made into fiber
The two fibers are blended together
The fibers are then spun into yarn
The fabrics are then made into the garments and ready for sale.
The yarns are knitted or woven into fabrics of desired weights